Utah State's Nevin Lawson playing in East-West Shrine game Saturday
First Published Jan 17 2014 10:15 am
Last Updated Jan 21 2014 10:42 pm
An Aggie hoping to get selected in the NFL Draft this spring will get a chance to shine Saturday among his peers.
Nevin Lawson, Utah State's all-conference cornerback and College Sports Madness All-American, will be playing in the East-West Shrine Game starting 2 p.m. on NFL Network. He'll suit up for the East team at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla.
Lawson, a 5-foot-10, 186-pound former stalwart for the Aggies, is ranked anywhere from the No. 23 corner (Draft Scout) to the No. 47 (ESPN), and is trying to improve his stock. A number of draft analyst tweets this week should be encouraging for the Florida native:
• Utah State CB Nevin Lawson has had an impressive morning - patient technique, fluid & physical in transition, good ball skills. #ShrineGame - @JoshLiskiewitz (GM Jr Scouting)
• Utah St CB Nevin Lawson and Rice CB Phillip Gaines both made a ton of plays at practice today - @MoveTheSticks (NFL.com)
• Nice zone coverage on an end zone drill by Nevin Lawson (CB Utah State) ...physical as all get out - @Schottey (Bleacher Report)
• Players who popped to me: E CB Nevin Lawson, W DE Cassius Marsh, W LB Tyler Starr, E RB Ladarius Perkins, W QB Keith Wenning and others. - @NFLDraftTracker
• #LRT write down his name. Nevin Lawson allowed 2 catches (9 yards, 1 TD) in 8 targets when matched against Davante Adams - @mario_clp (Draft Breakdown)
• I thought that S Tre Boston and CB Nevin Lawson from Utah State also a had a strong practice for the East squad - @NFLDraftBlitz
There was also at least one dissenting opinion out on Twitter:
Nevin Lawson/CB/Utah St struggling today and giving up a lot of receptions. - @TonyPauline (Draft Insider)
Lawson led Utah State and was 25th nationally with 1.21 passes defended per game, and he had four interceptions. He also had 57 tackles, with 5.0 coming for a loss. He was a two-time Mountain West defensive player of the week against Boise State and UNLV.
He's trying to become the second straight cornerback drafted out of Logan, attempting to follow in the footsteps of Miami Dolphins DB Will Davis.
There was at least one indication Friday morning that Lawson could join teammate Tyler Larsen in next week's Senior Bowl, considered the premier postseason exhibition for NFL-bound seniors.
After standing out at the East-West Shrine all star game practices, STARS athlete Nevin Lawson gets invite to the Senior Bowl. #STARS #TGIR - @JASonAWD (Jason David, former NFL corner)
Again, the Shrine game is on NFL Network. And if Lawson indeed participates in the Senior Bowl, Aggie fans could see him next week.
— Kyle Goon